In King's latest release, his villain is Rose. She is a woman with special powers bordering on vampiric and the leader of a group of RV-driving individuals like herself. They travel around the country killing "special" kids to ensure their powers and immortality. King is also famous for his female villain in Misery, a woman named Annie who imprisons her favorite author. Beyond King, I can only count a small number of bad girls in fiction. Here are a few that come to mind . . .
- The Wicked Witch in Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Dolores Umbridge and Bellatrix LeStrange in Rowling's Harry Potter
- The White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia series by Lewis
- Maleficent from Pearson's Kingdom Keepers series
- stepmothers in so many well-known fairy tales (i.e., Cinderella, Snow White, Hansel & Gretel, etc.)
This is all I've got!
Let's be honest. Girls can be mean in real life. They can be sneaky and downright nasty, yet tend to be portrayed as nurturing and kind. Yes, sociopaths tend to be men, but women can still have evil tendencies. Don't you think that this needs to be better reflected in literature?
What do you think about female villains? Can you name other female villains that I have not already listed? Which of these bad girls is your favorite?