Halfmann's "tail" is a must-read for you and your family! My son has requested that we read about Little Skink over and over again! He loves the story and the games at the end of the book, particularly the tail matching game. As for me, there are so many things that I love that I don't even know where to begin! I guess I will just have to begin listing them as I think of them . . .
- The Artwork: Illustrator Laurie Allen Klein is brilliant in her depictions of the stories! As Little Skink tries on her tails, they really do look as if they should fit! And, all the animals were just plain adorable! I've included a sample picture that also happens to be one of my favorites as an example!!
- What's Next?: My son actually caught on to this feature before I did!! Within the story, the pictures predict what tail Little Skink will try next.
- Nature Theme: Sylvan Dell Publishing prides itself on its mission, "Science and Math through Literature." Not only does Halfmann's story provide animal facts, but the activities at the end of the book provide very interesting nature facts as well. In addition, there are additional teaching activities available for this title through the publisher's website. As a parent, I thought this was a great educational addition to the book. I even learned a few things myself!!
- Beyond Science: Having worked with elementary children as a school counselor, I believe this book moves beyond the themes of science and nature into the concept of self-esteem as well. I believe that this book affirms that we are always most comfortable in our own skin.
- Request After Request: Nothing is more resounding to a parent than to have a child ask for a book to be read over and over and over again! In my mind, this alone confirms the success of a book!
Review copy provided by author
Want another opinion?
Maw Books Blog