- Only Novels Count. This means no non-fiction books, memoirs, short stories, essay collections, or books based on internet memes like LOLcats. The judge is out on graphic novels. It's your call.
- Memoirs Don’t Count. Even if they are fictional. And especially if they are fake memoirs about the Holocaust.
- It Can’t Be A Novel You Have Already Read. Expand your horizons. Try some new authors.
- You Must Start At The Beginning. If the book is on your nightstand, you have to start over. We are looking at January 1 to January 31. That is 31 days. We are on a deadline.
- Have Fun. This a lark. You wouldn't be reading if you didn't enjoy it.
The second challenge is the Young Readers Challenge of 2009. This one is in complete congruence with my personal goal of reading more children's books this year. Here is more information from the host blog (link above):
- Read 12 children's books in 2009. 'Children's books' are defined as anything written to be read (or read aloud) to children 12 and under. Examples of children's books are: board books, picture books, early readers, chapter books.
- No list is required. If you choose to post one, you can change it as needed. But it isn't required at all.
- Audio books work.
- Rereads are acceptable, but try to mix it up old and new if you can.
- Overlaps with other challenges are acceptable.
- You may consider yourself 'finished' with the challenge if/when you complete the twelfth book. (You could finish it January if you're ambitious. But there is no requirement to read one book per month all year long.) If you want to keep going past twelve books, that's fine. I won't stop you!
- If you want to challenge yourself further you might consider going with a theme:*Read twelve picture books published in 2009*Read twelve children's fantasy titles published since 2000*Read twelve children's books that have been made into a movie*Read three books on shapes, three books on numbers/counting, three books on the alphabet, three books on colors.
As mentioned in "Reading Resolutions," I have decided that I want to read as many books that have received the Caldecott Medal as possible this year. I will post a list of the winners at a future date.