Day One . . . Share a Story-Shape a Future: Raising Readers
Guest Posts: I really recommend reading each of the posts made for this topic (see the link above); however, I am highlighting here some of my personal favorites as well as some selected quotes from the guests!
- It Starts With Raising Readers by Terry Doherty at The Reading Tub: "And so it is with books. To see themselves as readers, kids want to look “just like everybody else.” If they see readers only as people who wear wire-rimmed glasses and sweater vests — and they wouldn’t be caught dead in a sweater vest — then they can’t see themselves as readers."
- Finding Time at Home by Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect: I really cannot narrow down this post or just comment on one quote because she has so many great and practical ideas of how to incorporate reading aloud to our children at home. This is a MUST READ for ALL parents!!
- Developmental Milestones of Early Literacy
- Reading Tips
- What Children Like In Books
- Doctor Recommended Reading Lists (includes recommendations for ages 0-12 as well as summer reading lists, winter gift ideas, and titles that deal with the ever-increasing need of economic hardship)
And, last but definitely not least, I want to refer everyone to Jen Robinson's "A Public Information Campaign for Read-Aloud." How best do you think we all can spread the word about the importance of reading aloud to our children? Read what Jen has to say and share your ideas!
Share a Story-Shape a Future image created by Elizabeth O. Dulemba